Saturday, July 11, 2015

Food Fight

Note: The cadence changes with the second verse.  While I realize this is an incorrect thing to do in poetry, I decided not to try to modify it since it said basically what I was trying to say.

August 2013

Food Fight

“I will not eat that piece of bread!
I’ll not, I won’t!” inside I said.
“I will not eat that piece of cake.
I must not eat it!  I’ll not take
That cookie, piece of pie, or cheese.
I must not eat it!  Help me, please!
My diet has been out of whack
For far too long—must take it back!”
But it is very hard to do
The right things that we want to do.
And it is easier still yet
To do what’s wrong and quite forget,
(Or push aside), the consequence
Of letting down our health’s defense.

As soldiers of the Cross, we follow Christ
He calls us to give up ourselves, our lives.
We must not stress, obsess, over mere food,
(He’d have us gain the best, not just the good).
Yes, we must watch what we ingest, it’s true,
But giving all my thoughts to this is wrong to do.
My figure has preoccupied my mind too long;
When in debate about my weight I’m often wrong.
With exercise and proper food I might control
These issues that invade (distract) my soul.
Oh Father, I don’t know You!  Help me, please!
I’ve failed so often!  Bring me to my knees!
Oh that no sin would be within my heart!
I want to walk with You; show me my part.
How do I put away this awful thing?
I have made food an idol. Help, my King!

No comments:

Post a Comment