Monday, June 29, 2015

Am I Too Good for Chili?


 
Sept. 22, 2012 
(This poem was written recounting what happened on Sunday, Sept. 16, 2012)

Am I Too Good for Chili?

On Sunday night a group of friends
Often get together
We eat “a bite,” converse a lot,
Play games, or "just whatever!”

Recently, Ky’s and my
Turn came up to cook.
One friend suggested frito pie,
So that is what we took.

We needed first to know just what
One puts in such a “pie.”
“You use some cheese and frito chips,
And, of course, canned chili.”  (My!)

(And what goes in canned chili?
I’m sure it is not good.)
But our friend was quite excited;
It seemed his comfort food.

Ky bought the stuff to make the pie.
We fixed it for the group.
They seemed to love the cheese and chips
And that red, lumpy “goop.”

The dish did turn out tasty.
But still, it “wasn’t right!
What am I really eating??
Kept lurking in my mind.

I later felt ‘most shameful.
Am I too good for this?

What if in ministry to come
      This ‘pie’ would feed my kids?     

In God’s unchanged, inspired Word,
Paul writes believers there:
“Eat, no questions asking--
It’s sanctified with prayer.”

And  believers who have loved the LORD   
Have often eaten less,
Or sat around the table
Without a bite to bless.

Am I too good for chili?
(And would my LORD have been?)
Perhaps this blessed chili
Will teach me more of Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment