Wednesday, December 23, 2015

I Met the World



December 8, 2014

I Met the World

I met the world.  So different from that told,
(I thought, as she approached me, friendly-bold).
Her warm right hand gave way into a hug,
The warmth of which caused me to merely shrug:
The truth I’d heard just surely couldn’t be.

Then that embrace became a little tight.
‘Twas warm, ‘tis sure, but try it as I might,
I could no fresh, deep air pull in my lungs.
But harder that I gasped, the more she clung
‘Til I realized, “An Anaconda’s holding me!”

What could I do? I was no longer strong!
My life would soon be, by her, squeezed-out gone!
And then appeared the One I once had loved,
The One Who once had bought me by His Blood.
(The greatness He once had can still be seen.)

He came, a Flash of Light with drawn, sharp sword;
He slashed clean-through my bondage by His Word!
Ashamed, exhausted, I fell weakly down.
How worldly love had made me nearly drown
And had so nearly been the end of me!

My captor would have done me in had not
My Rescue come Who is the Son of God.
My eyes could barely lift to look at Him
From Whom I’d turned to fraternize with sin.
“Oh, Savior! Is there still mercy?”

The sight that met my eyes brought me surprise:
Forgiveness, love, and mercy filled His eyes.
“My child, the words I said indeed were true:
The world could never love as I’ve loved you.”
And then He reached to place His hand on me.

I now avoid the carcass of that snake.
All that she promised turned out to be fake.
My hand’s again in His Who sacrificed
So much to, (yet again), give me my life.
And, in His love, I live—a sinner free!

No comments:

Post a Comment