Thursday, December 24, 2015

On my Young Man Cousin



May 26, 2015

On my Young Man Cousin
(For A & B)

With shining eyes and lively face
He tells me all his escapades
Of what he’s seen and what he’s read,
Of schemes and thoughts within his head.
I listen rapt to all his words,
But very little can be heard,
For all my thoughts and all the awe
That he would tell me ought at all!
How can this be that such a chap
Has grown to such a man as that?!
I held him in my arms at ten
And now he’s joined the ranks of “Men”!
We were good buddies then, ‘tis true,
But now he’s joined the “older group,”
And he treats me as if I’m young,
Or understand his youthful tongue!
I find my thoughts so far away
Not on his words, but bent to pray:
“Lord, help me shore him up for Christ
(Not that I live a perfect life),
But help me hear in such a way
That points him back to You today.
Help me speak with godliness
That holds Thy Word up as “The Best”.
Already he has learned so much;
Already he has felt Thy touch.
On Christ’s foundation he now stands,
Oh bless Thou now his life and hands!
Let him Thy will know for himself
And give Thee all his life and health.

No comments:

Post a Comment