Thursday, December 24, 2015

The Satisfaction of My Father



April 21, 2015

The Satisfaction of My Father

I can’t do this anymore, my Lord! I long
For things out of my grasp, out of my reach,
For things that are short-lived, inferior,
To that which, by the Gospels, I've heard preached.

A husband is the thing I long for most,
The one that comes most often to my mind.
Sometimes a panic-longing washes me,
And, reeling, I'm no match for it, I find.

Oh, will he come? Will I e’er have a man?
(But what a question!) Is a man the height
Of that for which I ought to wish, to long?
Is he the one on which I fix my sight?

Is not My Father quite enough for me?
Is not He strong that ransomed my lost soul?
Is not He faithful and all-loving in His thoughts
That He, by His own self, would make me whole?

And why do I look now for someone else,
Another who might “truly satisfy”?
Can a mere man do what the Lord my God
Can only do for them He sanctifies?

Ah, LORD! I find my longing quite too much!
Too much to conquer or to quite contain!
Thou art enough for me, this I have heard,
But I must hear it from Thy mouth again.

Oh, LORD, speak now into my frantic heart.
Whisper or blow in me Thy softest breath.
Speak in my ear with Thy still, calming voice,
And all these sinful fightings put to death.

Thou art enough. Thou art enough for me!
I cling to Thee with spindly human arms.
But greater than that which now clings to Thee,
The Gracious Love that wraps out all alarms.

My LORD, Thy love is sweeter than I know.
Open mine eyes that I might see Thy face,
Draw me that I might closer to be to Thee
And trust Thee more because of this dark place.

No comments:

Post a Comment