Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Jeremy



March 12, 2015

Jeremy

He sat in the chair, a smile on his face,
I still can see it so well.
So many challenges he had to face,
Yet on them he seemed not to dwell.

He could get around as quick as a cat,
Pump the wheels on his chair with his hands.
I bet he was lonely, now thinking back,
But he seemed friends with every man.

He’s gone now, a mem’ry still firmly there;
Somehow I wish my toddler self
Had gotten to know him as best as I could—
What a treasure I “left on the shelf”!

And now a young man with similar name,
And twenty years almost gone by;
Another with challenges so great to face
That has now caught my eye and my mind.

He cannot get around quite as fast as the first,
But he certainly can’t be slowed down!
I guess he is lonely, even in church,
But his work prevents standing around.

He’s here, a fresh mem’ry, now living still,
But I didn’t make my grown-up self
Go over and know him as best as I could:
What a treasure I “left on the shelf!”

I cannot go back and undo my past wrongs
Or right the mistakes that I’ve made,
But LORD, with Thy help, I’d like from here on
To befriend those You put in my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment