Wednesday, December 23, 2015

In the South’s Summer



March 20, 2015

In the South’s Summer

Her shoulders were broad.
Her back was straight.
Her skin was brown,
(The kind not fake).

Her legs were long.
Her feet were smooth.
Her step was sure,
(She knew “her groove”).

Her face was fair.
Her eyes were big,
A honey brown,
Or the color of figs.

Her lashes curled,
So beautifully long.
Her name fit her,
A summertime song.

“Fawny!” Meg’d call.
Her head would raise.
She’d amble over
From where she grazed.

My cousin’s cow
Became Meg’s pet
When the horse desired
Meg couldn’t get.

Meg loved her pet.
I see them now
Still in my mind:
The child and cow.

I haven’t seen Fawny
For quite some time,
But that sweet, tan cow
Still stays in my mind.

What beautiful days
We spent with her
‘Neath pecan trees
In the South’s summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment